The Adventure List
Started: October 2nd, 2009
In no particular order, I would like to:
- Finish every short story I ever started
- Write a “B-Movie” script
Graduate from collegeI applied for graduation today and am all set for May 10th. Update: Graduated! May 10th, 2013
- Become fluent in Spanish
- Make documentary of some sort
Learn to cookJanuary 1st, 2011. Kicked off the New Year by kicking something off the list Apply to Graduate School?Applied – and I didn’t even need to take the GRE for my program! Go to Film SchoolFilm and Media Studies at ASU official 4/10
- Learn to drive (don’t judge me!) Step 1 Accomplished! I took my Learner’s Permit test and PASSED! So, now for the fun part: learning how to actually drive the car.
- Learn to dance
- Travel abroad
- Amass a great movie collection
- Wear Converse to a formal event (and get away with it)
- Camp out for a Rose Parade
- Learn French
Midnight Movie PremiereSeptember 16th, 2011- The Lion King 3D
- Write for a television show or webseries
- Start running again
- Own a puppy
- Do something stupid in front of a lot of people and be OK with it, like karaoke. Rarely have I ever been OK with karaoke.
Live at the beachLa Jolla, CA
Create a TV show or webseriesMy wonderful friend and I spent the last month creating an original comedy series. We have a show bible and everything! December 1, 2012
Grow my hair long againJuly 2011, it is once again long.
- Have a blackboard wall
- Live in LA
Go to an aquarium (yes, I’ve never been to one.)May 15th, 2012 at Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas. Win a contestNational Novel Writing Month November 2009 Be on a game show (or at least audition)I took an online quiz for the Jeopardy! College Edition audition pool. I guess if my name’s drawn within the next 18 months, I get contacted about an interview/audition and then if that goes well, I’ll be on the show? Highly unlikely, but I did it!
- Buy a leather jacket.
- Learn to play the piano
Invent a new wordmornight (n): The period of time between night and morning that’s usually occupied by doing homework, writing reports, etc… ex: It’s 3am, I finished my report, good mornight! Created sometime during 2009.
- Own a kitten
- Run a 5k
Land a killer internshipAugust 2011, I’m a Copy Edit Intern! The perfect internship for a word nerd, no?
- Enter a writing contest
- Read Wuthering Heights
Have a blog (that people actually read)(September 2009: this one! According to the stats, people read it!) Minor in SpanishASU 3/2010
- Buy a violin
- Ride [and survive (thank you Jillian)] a zip-line
- Publish something. A story, an article…something.
- Skinny dip
- Cross-country road trip
- See a show on Broadway
- Go to London
- Go to Spain
- Go to Ireland
Do something quintessential to the college experience, like Greek Life(2-10-10: Rushing for freakin’ sorority. No I did not make it.)
- Apply for the ABC/Disney internship
- Plant a tree
- Ride in a hot air balloon
- Make Baked Alaska
Find out what Baked Alaska is(10-3-09)
- Go to a Dodgers game
- La Tomatina
Go to a rock concertGreen 17, baby!!
- Learn to play the guitar
Road trip with friendsSan Diego 7/10 with Jillian & Christine
- Host a giant game of “Mafia”
Build a massive sandcastleSan Diego 7/10
- Write a children’s story
- Learn sign language
- New Year’s Eve in Times Square
- Learn to juggle
- Read the Harry Potter series (Sorcerer’s Stone- 10/6/09, Chamber of Secrets- 10/12/10, Prisoner of Azkaban- 7/10/11, Goblet of Fire – 7/16/10)
Learn first aid/CPRMarch 2nd, 2013: I took the class, I am now Red Cross certified in both! And I know how to use an AED.
- Watch the 10 Greatest Movies of All Time
(Citizen Kane, Casablanca, The Godfather, Gone with the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, The Wizard of Oz, The Graduate, , Schindler’s List, Singin’ in the Rain)Complete October 2nd, 2011
- Buy a hammock.
Watch all the HP movies(Sorcerer’s Stone- 10/4/09 Chamber of Secrets- 12/5/09 Prisoner of Azkaban 12/5/09 Goblet of Fire 12/6/09 Order of the Phoenix 12/6/09, Half-Blood Prince 4/16/11, Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 5/1/11, Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 1/9/12)
- Own a house
- Be a spectator at the Olympics
Collect something pointlessI recently discovered a collection of coasters from the Outback Steakhouse in my room. I don’t know why I have them.
- Solve the Rubik’s Cube
- Learn to sew (for repairs)
- Host a massive game of Spoons
Kick the caffeine addictionI gave up coffee for Lent this year (2011). 7 weeks without it and then I had coffee just after it was over and…it wasn’t a pretty sight. I felt incredibly sick afterwards and it gave me a horrible headache. So, I think it’s safe to say I can cross this off the list now.
- Learn to paint
- Go to a taping of a late-night show
See the sun rise(10/18/09) Go on a picnic10-15-11
- Overcome my fear of flying (eep)
- Pay off all my student loans
- Masquerade as a window mannequin (and get photographic evidence this time!)
- Dye my hair red (I said it would be on the list, it’s on the list)
- Write the Twisted Fairytale
- Go on a shopping spree
- Laser Tag
- Go to New Orleans
- Go to Chicago
Write the Harry’s Diner scriptComplete August 2010
- Edit Harry’s Diner
Learn to ride a bike (don’t mock me, I have a horrible sense of balance.)I, Tobie James, finally learned to ride a bike yesterday (January something…). And it ended with my head in one piece, no concussions, and a serious sense of accomplishment. I am invincible!
- Finish a game of Monopoly
- Finish “The Novel”
- Take a yoga class
- Take a photography class
- Go to Rome
Learn to play chessJuly 17th, 2010 Panikin’s La Jolla, California–massive chess board!
- Go to Brazil
- Go to a drive-in movie
- Tour the White House
- Tour Hearst Castle
Higher EducationDecember 1st, 2012 – My friend and I turned my idea for Higher Education, which had been a short story at the time, into a TV series So, that effectively crosses #22 off the list as well. Now to get it on the air…or at least pitch it. Let’s go with pitch it.
- Learn Italian
Learn how to walk in high heelsMay 14th, 2012 – I trekked up the Strip from The Venetian to The Cosmopolitan. That’s a mile. A mile in heels. I think that counts as being able to walk in them, yeah?
- Tea party
- Sidewalk chalk mural
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie pop? I shall find out!I have conquered! 683 licks to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop! P’wned!
- See the Grand Canyon
- Attempt to break a Guinness World Record
- Go to D.C.
- See the Louvre
- See the Eiffel Tower
- See the Statue of Liberty
- Go to SeaWorld (California or Florida)
- Go to Disney World (Florida)
- Take a pottery class
- Go to a spa
Flogging Molly concert on St. Paddy’s DayMarch 17th, 2013! I FINALLY DID IT! IT WAS AWESOME! Watch The Matrix (yeah, yeah, I know…)“There is no spoon.” Go without tweeting anything for a week.August 28, 2010-September 3rd, 2010 Collect all my pennies for a year and buy something after.(started: August 25th, 2010) Ended August 25th, 2011. I have to say, pennies are harder to collect than people would think, simply for the fact that I rarely ever received them in change! I don’t know, maybe I was trying too hard to find them…anyway, I saved $3.64 in pennies. I cashed them in and bought myself a Taco Bell value menu at my school’s food court. Not the greatest purchase ever, but I was hungry!
- NOH8 photo campaign
Save up enough money for a new laptop(November 14th, 2010. Ok, so I didn’t save up ALL the money I needed, but I had enough to cover a large portion of it. As for the rest, all I can say is thank God for my impossibly high credit score.)
- Make my current laptop last at least another 4 months (Fail: Lazarus passed away November 13th, 2010. Due to unforeseen circumstances, his hard drive was fried and unrepairable. RIPieces, Little Bastard.)
Buy a Macbook(November 14th, 2010)
- Participate in the Arts Parade, Phoenix next year (2011) Fail: I was too sick to go this year Next year though! I will shoot for next year (though I’m not putting it on the List, it seems a little redundant)
Make hot chocolate with chocolate milk. Is it really double the chocolatey goodness?December 13th, 2010. Yes, yes it does. Although, I’ve been told results vary, so if anyone’s wondering I used Shamrock Farms’ chocolate milk with Nestle Hot Cocoa mix. Chocolatey deliciousness.
- Backpack through Europe, or New Zealand. Maybe just Spain. We’ll see.
- Go to Montreal
- Get a passport
Accomplish at least 5 things on this list during 2011 and post about them.Who’s up for Round 2? I’m continuing with this through 2012!
- Get a really nice pair of sunglasses
- Fly first class
Tie a cherry stem with my tongue (there’s a trick to doing this, apparently. Like a shortcut or something that I found in a book. We’ll see if I can figure out how to do it)May 15th, 2012 Jump in a fountain. I’ve run through one, why not jump into one?November 29th, 2011. Not my brightest of moments, the fountain was deeper than I thought and really, really cold! First FridaySeptember 2nd, 2011 – I finally made it to First Friday, braved the METRO at night for it. Thankfully, I went with a group of friends, so no one attacked me this time!
- Read War and Peace
- Finish a game of Life
- ASU Undie Run
100 Things That Make Me HappySeptember 19th, 2011, posted here.
- Drive Route 66
- Watch The Notebook
- Visit the Guggenheim
- Marathon all the Disney Princess movies
Call the Hogwarts HotlineOctober 5th, 2011 So, if you’re a Harry Potter fan, you need to call (781)-452-4077. Now. Apply for the Pixar internshipApplied February 3rd, 2013
- Carve a pumpkin for Halloween
Go to Las VegasMay 14-16th, 2012
Play the slots at least once (preferably while in Vegas) just to say I have.May 14-16th, 2012 Try chicken and wafflesMay 5, 2012–my major is not a real thing, it can’t be. My independent study class (4 people) and our professor went to lunch at Lo-Lo’s Chicken and Waffles to celebrate the end of the semester. See? Not real.
- Go to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Go to ComiCon
- Go to Carmel and prove to Kat’s friends and family that I am not imaginary and that she’s not (that) out of her mind (yet).
Put the lemon in play.May 15th-16th, 2012
- Go to New York (I have all these things about New York on the list, but I never actually put Go There on the list…)
Teach for America I started my application. Hopefully I’ll submit it before January 11th!Submitted with one day to spare! We’ll see what happens, I guess.
- Take the GRE – now that it’s on the list, I have to do it. But the thing is, for my Master’s program, I don’t actually have to take it…
- Donate blood Unfortunately, due to health reasons, I can’t actually give blood. I encourage you all to give blood though if you’re able to!
- Pitch Higher Education
- Write a spec script – like the GRE, now that it’s on the list, I have to do it.
Kick my addiction to Snapple Peach TeaMarch 31st, 2013 – I gave up the Peach Tea for Lent. It was harder than it should have been, but I did it.